A Bronchoscope delivered Implant System – the second generation Coil System
The Free Flow Medical FreeFlow® Coil #4 System is a bronchoscope delivered Implant System designed to treat patients suffering from severe Emphysema to improve lung function, exercise capacity and quality of life.
The FreeFlow® Coil technology is intended to provide a reliable system and method to cause minimally invasive lung volume reduction in Emphysema patients who need their breathing capability to be improved. Coils are placed in the most severely damaged tissue to induce targeted mechanical lung volume reductions to restore tension in lung tissue and decompress viable portions of the lung.
The System consists of sterile Implants that are pre-loaded in a Delivery Accessory and a separate sterile, disposable Catheter and Guidewire Delivery System.
The Coil technology has been studied and sold in Europe since 2012. The FreeFlow® Coil #4 is the second generation Coil system that benefits from lessons learned over the past decade. We streamlined the system to reduce procedure time and enhance implant effectiveness.
FreeFlow® Coil #4 System
- The Coil is a double anchor device, designed to cause lung volume reduction by anchoring and bringing two portions of the lung into closer proximity; which simultaneously decompresses and enhances function of less damaged tissue in other parts of the lung.
- The implant’s distal anchor is specifically designed to maintain traction in severely diseased lung tissue.
- The proximal anchor is an open lumen stent structure that provides traction in more central airways while enhancing airway patency.
- The Coil is packaged already attached to a Delivery Accessory shaft with a release handle which is used to advance and deploy the Coil. The Delivery Accessory can be used to reposition or even recapture the Coil before it has been released. Providing the implant already pre-loaded reduces procedural time as compared to previous Coil technology.
- A braided reinforced Catheter guides the Coil to the deployment target location and protects the bronchoscope working channel throughout the procedure.
- A custom Guidewire, designed specifically for airways, provides flexibility to easily track through the airway tree and help place the Catheter in position.